idea guy and ace wordsmith
Writer, editor and strategist, crystallizes ideas, writes
headlines that grab readers by the hearts, minds, and ticklish
places. A wordsmith who extracts the essence of the message
and makes complex technology clear.
Broad 20-year experience as an award-winning copywriter
and journalist, ad agency president and creative director,
technical writer, software marketing director, radio/TV
and Web producer. Directs staff and freelance talent, online
content, print copy, direct marketing copy broadcast and
Web producer. At home on the PC as in a post-production
studio or creative department.
- Writing that captures essence. Lean, grab-em-by-the-eyes
copy aims real benefits at customers' hearts, minds and
- Editing clumsy verbiage into lively, benefit-rich copy
people can actually read.
- Translating awkward, jargon-laden passive-voiced techspeak
to real English.
- Focusing strategic information from multiple sources
into a compelling story.
- Commuincating in Web content, advertising, news releases,
data sheets, collateral, white papers, catalogs, newsletters,
direct marketing, packaging.
- Managing creative teams and freelance contributors,
supervising art directors, selecting and directing talent,
field producers and studio engineers.
- Generating visibility through public relations contacts,
tactics and materials.
- Computing near-nerd in Word, MS Office, Dreamweaver;
Photoshop, HTML creation.
- Pulitzer Prize nomination for "Gay
- First place, series writing, Arizona Press Club, "The
- Pulitzer Prize nomination for "The Shrinking Desert."
- First place, short stories, American Pen Women Soul-Making
- Tucson Tops for radio advertising, Artisoft LANtastic
- Tucson Tops awards for print, radio and TV issue advertising,
Career highlights (actual
B.A. Journalism, University of Arizona, Tucson.
Secondary education graduate study, San Francisco State
- General Assignment Reporter, Arizona Daily Star,
Covered full breadth of daily reporting on politics, police,
courts, vital statistics and human interest, civil rights,
urban planning, technology horizons.
- President and Creative Director, Gold Images, Tucson
Advertising agency founder and principal, creative director
coordinating freelance artists and technicians; writer,
producer, director. Clients in retail, homebuilding, automotive,
politics, technology, video, professional practices.
- Marketing Director, Metro Software, Tucson
Developed marketing/advertising themes, collateral and
news releases, supervised execution. Editorial interest
increased sales 160% in six months.
- Senior Copywriter, Artisoft, Inc. Tucson
Lead writer for #1 Hot Growth Company. Wrote benefit-oriented
trade advertising, newsletters,
radio ads, data sheets
for LANtastic networks.
- Senior Editor, OneChannel.net, Mountain View, CA, 1999-2000
Marketing commentator writing analysis, trends, profiles
and commentary on emerging issues of online retail marketing:
search engine optimization, wireless, broadband, and emerging
- Marketing & Technical Writing
Consultant, Gold Images, 1994-present
- Media coordinator for nonprofit Print Debate project
launched during 2004 election
- Web content and production for Applied Materials
intranet, Sprint, business school, public relations
agency, author, National Writers Union.
- Created user-friendly documentation for Tucson School
District in-house software.
- Documented Regee voter registration and election
software for Pima County, Arizona.
- U.S. Small Business Administration subcontractor,
generated marketing tools for minority-owned businesses