ace wordsmith, idea guy
Writer, editor and strategist, crystallizes ideas, writes
headlines that grab readers by the hearts, minds, and ticklish
places. A wordsmith who extracts the essence of the message
and makes complex technology clear.
Broad 20-year experience as an award-winning copywriter
and journalist, ad agency president and creative director,
technical writer, software marketing director, radio/TV
and Web producer. Directs staff and freelance talent, online
content, print copy, direct marketing copy; broadcast and
Web producer. At home on the PC as in a post-production
studio or creative department.
- Writing that captures essence as it speaks the customer's
language with real benefits, compelling detail and made-you-look
- Focusing strategic information from multiple sources
into a compelling story.
- Editing clumsy verbiage into lively, benefit-rich copy
people can actually read.
- Translating awkward, jargon-laden passive-voiced techspeak
to real English.
- Commuincating in Web content, advertising, news releases,
data sheets, collateral, white papers, catalogs, newsletters,
direct marketing, packaging.
- Managing creative teams and freelance contributors,
supervising art directors, selecting and directing talent,
field producers and studio engineers.
- Computing near-nerd in Word, MS Office, Dreamweaver;
Photoshop, Fireworks, Quark, Web creation.
- Working individually and brainstorming teamwork.
- Pulitzer Prize nomination for "Gay
- First place, series writing, Arizona Press Club, "The
- Pulitzer Prize nomination for "The Shrinking Desert."
- First place, short stories, American Pen Women Soul-Making
- Tucson Tops for radio advertising, Artisoft LANtastic
- Tucson Tops awards for print, radio and TV issue advertising,
National Writers Union, Bay Area delegate
Bay Area Editors' Forum
Career highlights (chronological
B.A. Journalism, University of Arizona, Tucson.
Secondary education graduate study, San Francisco State
- General Assignment Reporter, Arizona
Daily Star, Tucson
Covered full breadth of daily reporting on politics, police,
courts, vital statistics and human interest, civil rights,
urban planning, technology horizons.
- President and Creative Director, Gold Images, Tucson
Advertising agency founder and principal, creative director
coordinating freelance artists and technicians; writer,
producer, director. Clients in retail, homebuilding, automotive,
politics, technology, video, professional practices.
- Marketing Director, Metro Software, Tucson
Developed marketing/advertising themes, collateral and
news releases, supervised execution. Editorial interest
increased sales 160% in six months.
- Senior Copywriter, Artisoft, Inc. Tucson
Lead writer for #1 Hot Growth Company. Wrote benefit-oriented
trade advertising, newsletters,
radio ads, data sheets and
packaging for LANtastic networks.
- Senior Editor, OneChannel.net, Mountain View, CA, 1999-2000
Marketing commentator writing analysis,
profiles, commentary and
trend analysis on emerging issues
of online retail marketing: search engine optimization,
wireless, broadband, and emerging companies.
- Marketing and Technical Writing
Consultant, Gold Images, 1994-present