ace wordsmith, idea guy
Writer, editor and strategist, crystallizes ideas in clear,
compelling language. Makes complex technology understandable,
works with editors and reporters as a true peer as an award-winning
and Pulitzer-nominated reporter.
Broad 20-year commnications experience in marketing as
advertising agency president and creative director, software
marketing director, radio/TV and web producer. Directs staff
and freelance talent, online content, print copy, broadcast
and Web producer; as at home on the PC as in a post-production
- Writing that captures essence. Lean, grab-em-by-the-eyes
copy aiming real benefits at customers' hearts, minds
and ticklish places.
- Focusing strategic information from multiple sources
into a compelling story.
- Editing clumsy verbiage into lively, benefit-rich copy
people can actually read.
- Translating awkward, jargon-laden passive-voiced techspeak
to real English.
- Commuincating in Web content, advertising, news releases,
data sheets, collateral, white papers, catalogs, newsletters,
direct marketing, packaging.
- Managing creative teams and freelance contributors,
supervising art directors, selecting and directing talent,
field producers and studio engineers.
- Computing near-nerd in Word, MS Office, Dreamweaver;
Photoshop, HTML creation and design.
Career highlights (chronological
B.A. Journalism, University of Arizona, Tucson.
Secondary education graduate study, San Francisco State
- General Assignment Reporter, Arizona Daily Star, Tucson
Covered full breadth of daily reporting on politics, police,
courts, vital statistics and human interest, civil rights,
urban planning, technology horizons.
- President and Creative Director, Gold Images, Tucson
Advertising agency founder and principal, creative director
coordinating freelance artists and technicians; writer,
producer, director. Clients in retail, homebuilding, automotive,
politics, technology, video, professional practices.
- Marketing Director, Metro Software, Tucson
Developed marketing/advertising themes, collateral and
news releases, supervised execution. Editorial interest
increased sales 160% in six months.
- Senior Copywriter, Artisoft, Inc. Tucson
Lead writer for #1 Hot Growth Company. Wrote benefit-oriented
trade advertising, newsletters, radio ads, data sheets
and packaging for LANtastic networks.
- Senior Editor, OneChannel.net, Mountain View, CA, 1999-2000
Marketing commentator writing analysis, profiles and commentary
and trend analysis on emerging issues of online retail
marketing: search engine optimization, wireless, broadband,
and emerging companies.
- Marketing & Technical Writing Consultant, Gold Images,
- Media coordinator for nonprofit Print Debate project
launched during 2004 election
- Web content and production for Applied Materials
intranet, Sprint, business school, public relations
agency, author, National Writers Union.
- Created user-friendly documentation for Tucson School
District in-house software.
- Documented Regee voter registration and election
software for Pima County, Arizona.
- U.S. Small Business Administration subcontractor,
generated marketing tools for minority-owned businesses