Writer, editor and analyst, crystallizes ideas in clear,
compelling language. Makes complex technology understandable,
works with editors and reporters as a true peer as an award-winning
and Pulitzer-nominated reporter.
Broad 20-year commnications experience in marketing as
advertising agency president and creative director, software
marketing director, radio/TV and web producer. Directs staff
and freelance talent, online content, print copy, broadcast
and Web producer; as at home on the PC as in a post-production
- Capturing essence with lean, grab-'em-by-the-eyes copy
that aims real news at readers' hearts, minds and ticklish
- Focusing strategic information from multiple sources
into essential information.
- Focusing on an editorial message to a targeted audience.
- Guiding writers to producer clearer, more compelling
- Editing clumsy verbiage into lively, benefit-rich copy
that people actually read.
- Translating awkward, jargon-laden passive-voiced techspeak
to real English.
- Commuincating in web content, advertising, news releases,
data sheets, collateral, white papers, catalogs, newsletters,
direct marketing, packaging.
- Managing creative teams and freelance contributors,
supervising art directors, selecting and directing talent,
field producers and studio engineers.
- Computing near-nerd in Word, MS Office, Dreamweaver;
Fireworks, HTML creation and design.
- Grasping grammar, accurate punctuation spelling and
usage with the acuity of an English teacher; uses Chicago
and AP styles.
- Pulitzer Prize nomination for "Gay Tucson."
- First place, series writing, Arizona Press Club, "The
- Pulitzer Prize nomination for "The Shrinking Desert."
- First place, short stories, American Pen Women Soul-Making
- Addy award for radio advertising, Artisoft LANtastic
- Tucson Tops awards for print, radio and TV ballot issue
advertising, "Safe Transportation."
National Writers Union, Bay Area delegate
Bay Area Editors' Forum
Career highlights (chronological
B.A. Journalism, University of Arizona, Tucson.
Secondary education graduate study, San Francisco State
- General Assignment Reporter, Arizona Daily Star, Tucson
Covered full breadth of daily reporting on politics, police,
courts, vital statistics and human interest, civil rights,
urban planning, technology horizons.
- President and Creative Director, Gold Images, Tucson
Advertising agency founder and principal, creative director
coordinating freelance artists and technicians; writer,
producer, director. Clients in retail, homebuilding, automotive,
politics, technology, video, professional practices.
- Marketing Director, Metro Software, Tucson
Developed marketing/advertising themes, collateral and
news releases, supervised execution. Editorial interest
increased sales 160% in six months.
- Senior Copywriter, Artisoft, Inc. Tucson
Lead writer for #1 Hot Growth Company. Wrote benefit-oriented
trade advertising, newsletters, radio ads, data sheets
and packaging for LANtastic networks.
- Senior Editor, OneChannel.net, Mountain View, CA, 1999-2000
Marketing commentator writing analysis, profiles and commentary
and trend analysis on emerging issues of online retail
marketing: search engine optimization, wireless, broadband,
and emerging companies.
- Marketing & Technical Writing Consultant, Gold Images,
- Media coordinator for nonprofit Print Debate project
launched during 2004 election
- Web content and production for Applied Materials
intranet, Sprint, business school, public relations
agency, author, National Writers Union.
- Created user-friendly documentation for Tucson School
District in-house software.
- Documented Regee voter registration and election
software for Pima County, Arizona.
- U.S. Small Business Administration subcontractor,
generated marketing tools for minority-owned businesses