A stickler for precision language
in grammar, spelling, accurate punctuation. Deep familiarity
with Chicago and AP styles. Editing that expunges passive
voice and calms convoluted sentences. Writer, editor and
analyst, crystallizes ideas in clear, compelling language.
Makes complex technology understandable, works with editors
and reporters as a true peer as an award-winning reporter.
Broad 20-year commnications experience
in journalism and media as advertising agency president
and creative director, software marketing director, radio/TV
and web producer. Directs staff and freelance talent, online
content, print copy, broadcast and Web content; as at home
on the PC as in a post-production studio.
- Applying Chicago and AP professional
- Restoring accurate grammar, spelling,
punctuation and standard usage.
- Focusing on an editorial message
at a targeted audience.
- Guiding writers to producer clearer,
more compelling stories.
- Capturing essence with lean, grab-'em-by-the-eyes
headlines that aim real news at readers' hearts, minds
and ticklish places.
- Focusing strategic information
from multiple sources into a compelling story.
- Editing clumsy verbiage into lively,
benefit-rich copy people can actually read.
- Translating awkward, jargon-laden
passive-voiced techspeak to real English.
- Commuincating in Web content,
advertising, news releases, data sheets, collateral, white
papers, catalogs, newsletters, direct marketing, packaging.
- Managing creative teams and freelance
contributors, supervising art directors, selecting and
directing talent, field producers and studio engineers.
- Computing near-nerd in Word, MS
Office, Dreamweaver; Photoshop, Fireworks, HTML creation
- Pulitzer Prize nomination for
- First place, series writing, Arizona
Press Club and Pulitzer Prize nomination for "The
- First place, short stories, American
Pen Women Soul-Making contest, "Malaise."
- Tucson Tops for radio advertising,
Artisoft LANtastic network software.
- Tucson Tops awards for print,
radio and TV issue advertising, "Safe Transportation."
National Writers Union, Bay Area co-chair and national
American Marketing Association
Career highlights (chronological
B.A. Journalism, University of Arizona, Tucson.
Secondary education graduate study, San Francisco State
- General Assignment Reporter, Arizona
Daily Star, Tucson
Covered full breadth of daily reporting on politics, police,
courts, vital statistics and human interest, civil rights,
urban planning, technology horizons.
- President and Creative Director,
Gold Images, Tucson
Advertising agency founder and principal, creative director
coordinating freelance artists and technicians; writer,
producer, director. Clients in retail, homebuilding, automotive,
politics, technology, video, professional practices.
- Marketing Director, Metro Software,
Developed marketing/advertising themes, collateral and
news releases, supervised execution. Editorial interest
increased sales 160% in six months.
- Senior Copywriter, Artisoft, Inc.
Lead writer for #1 Hot Growth Company. Wrote benefit-oriented
trade advertising, newsletters, radio ads, data sheets
and packaging for LANtastic networks.
- Marketing & Technical Writing
Consultant, Gold Images, 1994-present
- Media coordinator for nonprofit
Print Debate project launched during 2004 election
- Web content and production
for Applied Materials intranet, Sprint, business school,
public relations agency, author, National Writers
- Created user-friendly documentation
for Tucson School District in-house software.
- Documented Regee voter registration
and election software for Pima County, Arizona.
- U.S. Small Business Administration
subcontractor, generated marketing tools for minority-owned
businesses throughout Arizona.
- Senior Editor, OneChannel.net,
Mountain View, CA, 1999-2000
Marketing commentator writing analysis, profiles and commentary
and trend analysis on emerging issues of online retail
marketing: search engine optimization, wireless, broadband,
and emerging companies.